Food & Agriculture
The Agricultural Department provides leadership for the development of agriculture and sustainability of the agro-environment in the Municipality. The department operate on a vision of modernised agriculture culminating in a structurally transformed economy and evident in food security, employment opportunities and reduced policy.
The mission of the department is to promote sustainable agriculture and thriving agribusiness through research and technology, effective extension and other support service to producers, processors and distributors and consumers for improved food security, nutrition and incomes
There are six policy objectives for which the department rely on and these are;
- Food security and emergency preparedness
- improved growth in income
- Increased competitiveness and enhanced integration into domestic and international markets
- Sustainable management of land and environment
- Science and Technology Applied in food and agriculture development
- Improved institutional coordination
The department promotes policies, strategies, appropriate agricultural technologies and demonstrations necessary to improve agribusiness, agro processing and crop/animal production.
Operational areas within which the department operates are Assakae, Anaji, Whindo, Coco Villa, Effia, West Tanokrom, East Tanokrom and Kwesimintsim. Home and farm visit are carried in the various communities in the operational areas.
- PLANTING FOR FOOD AND JOBS
The department received 172 bags of 45kg OPV maize and has distributed to beneficiary farmers. 362 farmers benefited comprising of 192 males and 170 females
- PLANTING FOR EXPORT AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT (PERD)
The department efforts in supporting government flagship program PERD targeted oil palm and coconut. In view of this, the department distributed 3000 oil palm seedlings and 2000 coconut seedlings to beneficiary farmers in the Municipality.