NADMO seeks to enhance the capacity of society to prevent and manage disasters and to improve the livelihood of the poor and vulnerable in rural communities through effective disaster management, social mobilization and employment generation.
To manage disasters by co-ordinating the resources of government institutions and non-governmental agencies, and developing the capacity of communities to respond effectively to disasters and improve their livelihood through social mobilization, employment generation and poverty reduction projects.
- To improve Human and Institutional Capacity.
- To promote Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Climate Change Risk Management through the establishment of National and Regional Platforms for all Stakeholders.
- To strengthen Disaster Prevention and Response Mechanisms.
- To link NADMO’s Disaster Prevention and Management Programmes to the GPRS and re-afforestation through effective social mobilisation for disaster prevention and poverty reduction.
Disaster Management Objectives
- To equip the organisation to handle all aspects of disasters in Ghana;
- To create awareness on disasters through intensive public education;
- To ensure disaster prevention, risk and vulnerability reduction, as a means of reducing the impact of disasters on society;
- To be in a position to provide the first line response in times of disaster;
- To assist in post-emergency rehabilitation and reconstruction effort;
- To assist and motivate community-based organizations to serve as the credible voluntary organizations to assist in the prevention and management of disasters at the local level;
- To set up monitoring and early warning systems to aid the identification of disasters in their formative stages, to disseminate timely information and warning, and hazard/disaster awareness creation;
- To enforce laws to prevent and mitigate disasters;
- To provide good conditions and scheme of service to raise morale, performance; and productivity;
- To raise human capacity and development of staff.