Application for permit for billboard, signboard, branding, float/promotion etc to the Municipal Head of Works and copy The Outdoor Advertising Unit (EKMA)
Inspection is booked at a convenient time. Permit is processed after which installation is carried out and supervised by the Municipal Head of Works and Outdoor Advertising Operations Officer. All payments are made at the Assembly Secretariat (EKMA).
Procedures And Specifications For Outdoor Advertisement
- Applicants apply to mount the advertising boards/signs in writing to the Municipal Works Department.
- Application letter is then referred to the outdoor advertising unit of the Municipality.
- The outdoor advertising unit then invite the applicants for inspection of the proposed site for the mounting of the boards/signs.
- If approved, applicants are expected to obtain EKMA outdoor registration forms where all necessary information are provided.
- Applicants are then expected to pay a prescribed fee (as in the Fee Fixing Resolution) to EKMA.
- Applicants would then have to mount the adverts under the supervision of the Municipal Works Department.
Distinction Of Billboard Types
First Party Stage – Owner of structure is being advertised and structure usually on owner’s business premises.
- Equitable Price using Square pricing for all structure types.
- Zonal reduction procedure is applied according to locations.
- Expanded sizes.
- Use this Standard for any items not specifically identified in Rate Sheet.
Zoning Of Area / Roads
International Airport Zone
- Area within and around Roundabout and Intersection.
International Airport Zone
Area within and around Roundabout and Intersection.
- Paa Grant Roundabout
- Apollo Junction
- Pipe Ano
- TTU Intersection
- Effia No. 9 Intersection
- I Adu Junction
- Kwesimintsim Traffic Light
- Apremdo Market
All other locations/areas as applied and specified by the applicants.
Types Of Advertisement
- Advertising Billboards
- Notice or Sign boards
- Road Medians
- Group Directional Signs
Specification Of Advertising Hardware
- Specification of advertising billboards shall conform to Ghana Standard Board and EKMA beautification specification, and shall be such size as may be set out and approved by EKMA.
- For the purpose of conforming and uniformity of billboards, all billboard mounting shall be supervised and signed-off by EKMA Works Engineer.
- The dimensions (sizes) of billboards shall be as follows;
Types of Sheeter
< 1.05 m x 1.56 m
1.05 m x 1.56 m
1.20 m x 1.80 m
1.56 m x 2.10 m
1.80 m x 1.20 m
2.00 m x 3.00 m
2.30 m x 7.62 m
6.00 m x 3.00 m
8.00 m x 4.00 m
3.00 m x 12.0 m
10.00m x 5.00 m
9.00m x 6.0 m
6.00 m x 12.0 m
6.0 m x 20.0 m
Notice Boards OR Sign Boards
Sizes of Notice or Sign Boards are subject to approval by EKMA Scheduled Officer
Street Names with Adverts
- The EKMA may execute a franchise arrangement with any reliable advertising agencies to mount Street Names in the Municipal on its behalf and pay appropriate annual fee for each signpost.
- Advertising space must conform to a standard dimension of 60cm by 60cm.
Group Directional Signs
- EKMA may execute a franchise arrangement with any reliable advertising agencies to mount Street Names in the Municipal on its behalf and pay appropriate annual fee for each signpost.
- Permit must be obtained for the mounting of every stand.
- The maximum height for a stand shall be 2.7meters and shall contain 8 plates.
All banners shall attract daily fees as determined in the Fee –Fixing Resolution.
Directives For Mounting On Site
- No billboards shall be mounted.
- In such a manner as to partially or wholly cover any premises or the facades or elevations of an existing edifice.
- On a proposed or existing right of way of Municipal engineering infrastructure services and its ancillaries.
- On a location in a manner that may hinder the installation or maintenance of Municipal Engineering System / facility or infrastructure.
- And aligned in such a manner so as not to obstruct road sight lines
- To violate clearance requirement from the shoulders of primary and secondary drains
- Lower than 1.8m from the ground
- For all areas that are approved for mounting, there shall be uniformity in size, height, the orientation and distances apart and at an angle to the center line of the road..
- All boards mounted upon approval, shall be maintained routinely and periodically in such a manner as to prevent it from being defaced. The structural framework shall be maintained as to prevent deterioration and possible collapse of the board.
- The immediate environs of every board, stretching ten (10) meters radius shall be kept and be devoid of overgrown grass / weeds. Maintenance of the surrounding shall be organized by Advertising agency responsible for the mounting.
- The fee charges are subject to EKMA’s annual Fee-Fixing Resolution and or policy decision.
- An application/registration fee shall be paid on form submission.
- Refundable deposits for removal shall be paid for banners and posters only.
- Demand Notice shall be served before the end of the financial year of a permit cycle latest by the end of the first month of the year, and payment made by the 31st March of every year.
- Enforcement Removal Notice shall be served and acted upon, upon failure to comply with Demand Notice.
- All unauthorized outdoor adverting structures shall be subject to removal by EKMA or its accredited agents with or without due notice and the advertising company surcharged with the cost of removal and storage.
- All approval applications are valid for EKMA’s financial year of approval only.
- All unauthorized advertising devices which do not conform as specified in the application shall be subjected to removal by EKMA and the advertising company responsible surcharged with the cost of removal and storage.
- Terms of payment: if an advertiser refuses to pay within the first quarter after advertising, the company can be blacklisted and / if six-months after being allocated a site and there is no billboard / structure mounted and no maintenance of the site, the site will revert to the EKMA.
- Force nature: after EKMA has issued any permit and the billboard is damaged, EKMA will not be held liable.
- Permitted sign: in case EKMA moves or cases such as a sign is to be removed without just cause, EKMA would pay appropriate for same.
- Offensive sign: EKMA can in the interest of the public cause to be removed such as a sign with due notice.
- New concepts: advertising who come up with new concept may discuss with EKMA for franchise and payment of special fees.
All advertising is to note that billboards are considered as temporal structures and may be removed and relocated to pave way for Municipal and National development interventions.